Introduction



Thanks for visiting my page. To help with navigation, here is a list of popular pages all about Marching in Colour

* The History of Marching In Colour - who is the man behind the words and service, how did it all come about

* Commissioning Models for Painting - how the process works, start to finish, and what you can expect

* Gallery of Artists Work - with over 20 years experience, here is a small sample of finished commissions

* ITEMS FOR SALE - as well as painting models, I also sell pre-painted models and assorted loose models and scenery on Etsy and Ebay. Links here!

* Trade in your old models for Painting Credit * click here for details

* To see details of all current commissions booked-in and estimated completion dates - click here

SCENERY and TERRAIN - for pre-made, handcrafted items of scenery and terrain, please click here

For TUTORIALS please follow this link - click here


Friday 27 July 2012

Painting Models in 3 Easy Steps

Quick Guide to Painting

As a youngster I remember reading a painting guide in an old copy of Wargames Illustrated, and what struck me the most about this guide is that I had to turn the page to continue reading the article it was that long!

There was something epic like 48 steps, which although covered everything in great detail I couldn’t help but think 'talk about taking the long way round', especially as I looked at the pile of 80 High Elves in front of me (yup, like most children I started out in Fantasy).

Every time I paint a model now I cant help but think back on that old guide, and chuckle. It must have taken the painter hours to finish the model and even longer to write the guide. So, to keep the universe in balance and to show my years of experience I present my guide to painting models, in... 3 steps!

You will need,

1x Undercoated Model. I present Mr Viking


Step 1

Paint the model in block colours. By this I mean, paint his tunic all one colour, all one thickness, the same everywhere. Don’t try and be fancy with painting light to represent shadow, its not worth the time or effort.

The key here is to be crisp and clean.


Step 2

The wash. Some people like to call it the 'Dip', I use a wash method. Instead of dipping the model and having thick gunge all over, take your time, be more precise. Paint the stain on, be liberal with it, but direct it to where you want it. Concentrate on seems in clothing and places that will naturally be shaded.

The end result should be something like your base colour, but darker.


Step 3

Repaint the model. Using your original colours, paint over the majority of the areas, leaving only the areas that are in shade, folds in clothing etc., with a medium to dark brown tinge.


Job done!


Of course if you then want to go ahead and do 10 more steps of further detail on top of this guy, then you can, and you have a great platform to work on as the majority of the painting has been completed in very little time at all.

Thanks for reading, if you want to know anything further, like materials or what 'dip' to use, please don’t hesitate to email me, or post a comment below.

Chris

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    I'd be interested to know what dip / wash you use. I've never had much success with this method I'm afraid!
    Cheers,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    I use a quick drying woodstain, Satin, 'Walnut' which I got from B&Q.
    The trick I have found is not to dip, as it becomes to thick to, but brush as a light wash. Takes some practice though. My first dips were a horrible mess of models.
    thanks
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Chris. I may just give that a go!

    ReplyDelete